International Driving Permit in Finland


Get your international driving license for Finland

  • Instant approval
  • Fast & Easy Process
  • Valid from 1 to 3 years
  • Drive Legally Overseas
  • Translated in 12 Languages
  • Recognized in over 150 countries
  • Worldwide Express Shipping

How to get an international driver's license in Finland?

The international driving license is a translation of the national driving license into many languages. The first ID cards appeared in 1926 after the Paris International Convention relative to Motor Traffic. The international driver's license was also influenced by two other conventions in 1949 and 1968. The international driving permit is the same as the international driving license.

Getting an international driver's license in Finland while you are in Finland if you have a valid Finland national driver's license. If you are only planning to visit Finland, you can contact the competent authority in your country. If you are already traveling and do not have an IDL, the only option is to have your national driving license translated online. This is a faster, more convenient and easier way to continue to drive when you travel.

We remind you that an international driver's license is valid only with a valid national license.

How to get international drivers permit online?

Simply and quickly
To get the International Driving Permit (IDP), you should apply and then fill out the form for which you need to give us:
  • 1. A photo of your valid domestic driving license
  • 2. Your personal data
  • 3. A photo of yourself
  • 4. Your signature (scan or photo it)

Our services will not cost you a fortune.
Get an International Driving Permit (IDP) now and travel easily.
Ecuador IDL

How to get a International Driving Permit in Finland?

According to the Vienna Convention of 1968, international driving permit are authorized to be issued by national governments or organizations to which these functions have been delegated. In most countries, this is done by automobile associations affiliated to the AIT/FIA, the police or other organizations. To get an international driving license in Finland, you must have a local license and apply to the authorities responsible for this (we try to keep the information up to date, let us know if the link does not work). The cost and timing of issuance differs from country to country.

If you have a national license not issued in Finland, you need to check if you have the right to drive with your license and if you need an IDP. If you do, the only way out is to order a translation of your driver's license with delivery or an electronic version (check with the rental car company if the electronic version will work), for example with us.

If you are a U.S. citizen and only have a U.S. driver's license when you travel, you can get an IDP from AAA - but you have to do it before you travel to Finland!


How to get an international driver's license in Finland?


If you have a local license and want to travel contact a competent organization. If you are an American and plan to travel in advance, you can get an IDP from AAA. In other cases, you can have your driver's license translated into the required languages so that you can travel with your national license and its translation.

How to apply for international driving license?


Our application process is fast and simple. Complete the IDD application form, attach a copy of your valid driver's license, your handwritten signature and a color ID photo, and make the payment. You can apply online here.

Do you need an international driving license for Finland?


Finland has unified its driving license in accordance with the 1968 Vienna Convention. If you have a driver's license from one of the 67 countries that did the same, you do NOT need an international driver's license to drive in Finland. Drivers from other countries not on the list need an international driver's license, unless there is an additional agreement between Finland and the country that issued your driver's licence about special conditions.

Can I drive in Finland with a US license?


You can only drive in Finland with your driver's license if you have a valid international driving permit (IDP). Additional information for traveling U.S. citizens can be found on the government website.

Сan an American drive in Finland?


To drive an American in Finland, you must have an international driving permit (IDP). Additional information for traveling U.S. citizens can be found on the government website.

What is the International Driver's document?


Our IDD is ideal for travelers visiting multilingual destinations. No test is required and the IDD is valid for up to three years. This document is used in conjunction with, but does not replace, your valid national license; it is a translation of your driver’s license in three formats.

Can I rent a car with this document?


Usually yes. However, as requirements vary from region to region, you are advised to inquire directly with car rental companies.

Can I purchase car insurance with the IDD?


Usually yes. However, as requirements vary from region to region, you are advised to inquire directly with local insurances companies.

What you need to know to drive in Finland?

  • International Driving License is recognized.

Finland documents:

Travel SIM card:

Driving tips for Finland:

  • The minimum age for obtaining a driving license is 18.
  • Finland drives on the right side of the road.
  • There are the following speed limits in the country: 30-40 km/h - in built-up areas, 80 km/h - on toll-free roads, 120 km/h - on highways in summer and 100 km/h - in winter.
  • Drivers are not allowed to use radar detectors.
  • It is forbidden to honk loudly in residential areas, with the exception of emergency situations.
  • Local law requires passengers and the driver to wear seatbelts.
  • Children less than 153 cm tall must be transported in special child seats. In the absence of a restraint, children under 3 years of age must be put in the back seat and fastened with seat belts.
  • Don't forget to take a warning triangle and a reflective jacket with you.
  • The maximum permitted blood alcohol content behind the wheel is 0.05 ppm.
  • Use a wireless headset to talk on your mobile phone.
  • Cars aren't allowed to occupy lanes reserved for public transport.
  • The driver must give way to a pedestrian or cyclist, if the latter is already in a pedestrian crossing.
  • Always keep dipped headlights on.
  • Be sure to have a compulsory third party liability insurance policy.
Subscribe and get full instructions about the obtaining and using of International Driving License, as well as advice for drivers abroad